Thursday 8 August 2013

Bubble's Back, with no Rock, but plenty of Stick.

Sorry for not posting on Tue, nothing to report I'm afraid. I was in Dublin all day and I didn't get home until late. I could have gone for a run I suppose, but I thought it would do no harm to give the leg a rest, and boy was I glad I did, because I had a really good run tonight. It's the first time in ages I've felt comfortable running, the leg was a bit stiff but nothing too bad, and the craic was good, with Bubbles back in the mix.  We only ran 5 miles as I had to be back by 7pm to pick up my two lads from GAA training. The pace was 10.02 min per mile, which is the fastest 5 miles I've ran to date. 

I really wasn't looking forward to training this evening. It was raining, I had to ref a tag match afterwards and I was a bit apprehensive about how my leg would hold up.  I knew from the first 10 steps this was going to be a good run. Bubbles had cracked at least two jokes and the leg felt strong. I don't know if we would have gone as fast if we were going to do the 8 miles originally planned, or if I'd be able to keep that pace, but I felt strong the whole way through the run, and when I'd finished I was delighted with myself.

I reffed the tag match and felt like I had plenty of energy, I stayed up with play a lot more than I had recently, and the legs didn't feel as tired.  It just goes to show the importance of having a proper recovery between sessions.

3 weeks to go from Sat, can you believe it? I hear Robbie Connolly is going to run the Half Marathon now as well. Robbie is in a similar boat to Ray and Myself in that he hasn't done much running before, but he ran with John and myself a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if I believe he hasn't done much before, as he was well able to stay with Ray and John on Tue when they weren't being kept back by me. Anyway, it's great to see another Solider signed up!  I'm also hopeful Colin Draper from the rugby club is going to run as well. I was chatting to him tonight, and he said he's considering it. He hasn't run that far before but he has run a few 10k's. I'm sure it'll be no bother to him, and if he really feels like not doing the whole thing he can always get a partner and sign up for the relay.

So there you have it, back in the grove, counting down the last 3 weeks and really looking forward to it, until Sun, Slan.

No comments:

Post a Comment