Sunday 25 August 2013

The Cloghan 10k

I worked out my pace in km per minute as opposed to the miles per minute that I'm more used to and it works out like this; a 10 min mile works out at 6:15 per km, and a 10:30 min mile works out at 6:33 per km. With that in mind I set myself the target of running the first km in 6:30. The aim of this was to get used to setting my own pace and not going off too fast. Alas I failed, as I passed the 1 km marker after 5minutes and 34 seconds. I immediately slowed down and passed the 2nd km at 12min and 5 sec, so I improved slightly. I was feeling good though, so that was a positive. I decided if I still felt good at 7km I'd kick on and see how quick I could finish from there, and that's exactly what I did. I passed 7km at 42:40, and then kicked for home. I was delighted to finish in under an hour, needing to sprint the last 300 metres to finish in a time of 59 minutes and 44 seconds. I don't know if I would have finished any quicker if I'd set off faster at the start, I suppose I'll only learn that from running in more races.

The race was very well organised with a lot of Race Marshalls and water stations. I should have expected the water stations due to Ray's involvement in the club, and in case I haven't already told you, Ray has a huge thirst when running, regularly drinking 2litres on an hours run. Ray played a blinder today, I'll let him tell you how he got on, himself in his blog www.runbubbyrun.blogspot.ie but he did get a lot of ribbing from his club mates when he pulled on the blue and white vest I don't think it bothered him that much, maybe he's a closet Blues fan!

So, less than 7days to the big one. Bring it on! I'm feeling good! Until Tue, Slán.

No comments:

Post a Comment